Best Pinpointers For Metal Detecting Top 5 Reviewed
Your research has paid off and you have just spent your hard-earned money on a shiny new metal detector. Delighted, you head out into the fields to start treasure hunting. You soon realize that finding your target is only half of the battle. Unearthing your treasure from the dirt is the other part of the battle.
If you don’t want to dig giant holes, you’ll need a pinpoint metal detector to help you find the items located by the larger unit. Precise positioning devices help isolate the target in the hole and pinpoint it quickly. A regular metal detector can be useful for searching a large area, but a pinpointer can help you find out exactly where an object might be and if you have already unearthed it. It can also keep you from damaging your items in the ground.
There were many instances when I had to abandon my search because I couldn’t find the object that my metal detector had found. After I started using a pointer, I always found the object that my metal detector had discovered.
Keep reading to find out what exactly a pinpointer is, some important features, how they work, and the benefits of using one while metal detecting. I will also be listing some of my favorite pinpointers and the reasons why I recommend them.
What is a Pinpointer?
A pinpointer is a small metal detector. This tool is small enough to fit in one hand. The coil, located on the top of the tool, notifies you with a sound or vibration when you are close to the metal. This tool is inserted into the hole where the treasure is thought to be. When close to metal, the pointer vibrates more and beeps more. In this way, it guides you to the treasure.
Important Features of Pinpointers
Power Source: Pinpointers are usually powered by alkaline batteries, such as a 9-volt battery or a couple of AA batteries. Some pinpointers feature rechargeable batteries that will save you money in the long run.
Location: Some pinpointers are waterproof or water-resistant. Waterproof pointers are great for water or shoreline searching. It is also useful during bad weather or around puddles. It is important to check the IP rating of the device. Fully submersible units will have a higher rating.
If you enjoy searching on land, find a pointer that is designed for dirt-digging.
Detection Range: A high IP rating on the pointer means it will detect deeper targets. Target depth is determined by the size of the search coil and the level of sensitivity on the device.
Sensitivity: Most pinpointers allow you to adjust the sensitivity on the device. You can detect deeper targets by increasing the sensitivity.
Size: The larger the search coil, the deeper the device can detect.
Target response: Pinpointers commonly make an audio tone when you are using them on land. Some units feature a vibration or light signal when using the device underwater.
Nighttime Visibility: If you plan on metal detecting at night, you’ll want a pointer that features a built-in flashlight.
Ease of use: Some pointers have a lot of settings, others only one or two. The right one for you will depend on your preference.
Durability: While shopping for a pointer, make sure you pick a high-quality and sturdy model. Find a pointer that is made of durable material that will resist damage.
How do Pinpointers Work?
These miniature metal detectors transmit signals through the air via low-frequency radio waves. The signal stops when it hits a piece of metal. The signal is then reflected and detected by the receiving circuit. How quickly the signal returns, the shape of the returned signal, and other details can help determine how big and deep the object is. Other properties of the signal can help provide more clues about what’s underneath the ground before you start digging. Pinpointers and metal detectors work hand-in-hand. Metal detectors help you locate the target and pinpointers help you zero in on the object.
Benefits of Using a Pinpointer While Metal Detecting
Pinpointers help you zero in on your object, making it easier to find. There are plenty more benefits to using a pointer. Using one will make treasure hunting better in the following ways:
You’ll save time: Finding small objects, like coins or jewelry, can be time-consuming. While a metal detector can locate an object, it can’t tell you precisely where it is. You could end up digging a very large hole to find your target. With a pointer, you can dig closer to where the target is and dig a much smaller hole.
You’ll save energy: It takes a lot of work to dig holes while metal detecting. You get tired quickly while squatting and digging, especially if you are digging in an area with a lot of rocks and roots. Knowing precisely where your object is means you’ll spend less energy trying to find it.
You’ll lower the risk of damaging your items: Pinpointers let you know how big your object is and how deep it lies in the ground. This means you’ll dig more carefully to not hit your object.
Top 5 Pinpointers
After testing and searching a variety of pointers, I have found 5 that I consider the best. I have based my decision on durability, ease of use, accuracy levels, etc.
Here are the top 5 pinpointers to add to your treasure hunting gear:
1. Minelab Pro-Find 35
A PRO-FIND Series pointer is an essential part of your hunting gear. The Minelab Pro-Find 35 pointer helps you to accurately locate targets inside a small hole where a large metal detector cannot fit. This results in smaller holes and a faster target recovery time. Minelab’s DIF technology significantly reduces interference with an operating metal detector, when the pointer is switched off, by disengaging the pinpointer’s magnetic field. The DIF technology eliminates false signals, which is important while using sensitive metal detectors.
- DIF Technology – Significantly reduces interference with an operating metal detector.
- Ferrous Tone ID – Helps distinguish ferrous junk from nonferrous treasure.
- Waterproof up to 10ft – Rugged waterproof housing allows the device to be used on beaches, riverbeds, and wet soil.
- Audio and Vibration Indication – Intensifying audio tones and vibration ensure that you never miss your target.
- Adjustable Sensitivity – Has five levels of sensitivity that can be adjusted using the separate +/- buttons.
- High Visibility – The bright yellow handgrip is clearly visible, so you don’t leave your device behind.
- Lost Alarm – It has a lost-alarm that will sound when the device has been inactive for a certain period of time.
- Holster and Lanyard – It comes with a lanyard and durable holster that attaches to any belt.
- Battery – It comes with a 9V PP3 battery that lasts up to 30 hours.
- LED Flashlight – The built-in LED flashlight is handy for nighttime hunting.
2. Garrett Pro-Pointer AT With Z-lynk
The Garrett Metal Detectors Pro-Pointer AT Z-Lynk provides all-terrain versatility for detecting small targets. This model is great for all environments and is fully submersible to a maximum depth of 20 feet. The updated Z-Lynk feature transmits to Garrett MS-3 headphones or Garrett Z-Lynk wireless kit. Go on adventures and find hidden treasures with this travel-sized metal detector.
- Easy Sync – One press syncing to Garrett MS-3 headphones or wireless kit.
- Wireless Convenience – You can hear both the detector and pointer alarms through your headphones.
- Lost Pointer Alarm – After 5 minutes of inactivity, the device will begin to emit warning chirps for 60 minutes.
- Auto-Off Feature – After 60 minutes of inactivity, the device will automatically power off.
- Lanyard attachment loop- You can attach the device to your belt, digging pouch, or detector.
- Sensitivity – It has 3 sensitivity levels that can be easily adjusted for improved detection.
- Waterproof – It is fully waterproof up to 20 feet with orange color for added visibility underwater.
- Fast Retune – It has a quick button press that instantly tunes out environment for precise pinpointing.
- Ruler – There is a ruler molded into the side of the pointer to judge target depth.
- LED Light – It has an LED light for use in low light areas.
- Scraping Blade – It has a scraping blade to sift through the soil.
- Battery – The 9v battery is included with the device.
3. Nokta Pulsedive Pointer
The Nokta Pulsedive Pointer offers unique features that will enrich your detecting experience. Lightweight and portable, this 2-in-1 device is a must-have for any treasure hunter. The patented design allows you to change from pointer to scuba detector in a matter of seconds and remains waterproof up to 200 feet. The Pulse Induction technology is powerful enough to operate in saltwater or any type of soil.
- Patented Design – You can transform your device from a pointer to a scuba detector and vice versa.
- Waterproof – It is waterproof up to 200 feet.
- Pulse Induction – You are able to use this device in saltwater or other environments.
- Built-In Wireless Module – You can use this pointer wirelessly with headphones.
- Detection Alerts – You can change how you would like to receive alerts:
Audio and vibration
LED in addition to vibration or audio
- LED Flashlight – You can use the LED flashlight for night hunting or while searching underwater.
- Fast Retune – Ensures stable operation of your device.
- Dive Mode – The device locks the keys and prevents them from being pressed while deep diving.
- Lost Alarm – After 5 minutes of inactivity, an alarm will emit, and the LED will start flashing.
- Replaceable Hard-Shell Case – The pointer coil can be replaced and comes with a hard-shell case to prevent damage of the detection tip.
- Belt Holster – It comes with a belt holster so you can easily carry your pointer with you anywhere you go.
- Lanyard – It comes with a lanyard that you can attach to your belt or metal detector.
- Charging Cable – It comes with a charging cable for quick charging before you start hunting.
4. Fisher F-Pulse Pinpointer
The Fisher F-Pulse pointer finds the exact location of metal objects buried in soil, sand, or dirt. It can easily detect coin-sized targets buried in the soil. It detects all metals including iron, foil, nickel, aluminum, zinc, silver, and gold. It is fully waterproof and is capable of functioning in both fresh and saltwater. This device was designed by treasure hunters specifically for hunters who want to improve their performance.
- Sensitivity – It has 3 sensitivity levels that can be easily adjusted.
- Controls – It has single button operation for easy control.
- Target Alert – It alerts you by beeping, vibrating, or both.
- Batteries – It works with 2 AA batteries.
- Waterproof – It is fully submersible to 6 feet.
- LED Light – It has an adjustable LED light so you can easily see your target at night or while searching in dark places.
- Construction – It is made from abrasion-resistant materials.
- Fast Retune – It has a quick button-press that instantly tunes out the environment and narrows the detection field.
- Lost mode – After 5 minutes of inactivity, the device will start chirping. After 10 minutes, the unit will power off.
- Holster – It includes a belt holster so you can keep the device close to you.
- Grip – It includes a molded rubber grip for comfort.
- Warranty – It comes with a 2-year warranty from Fisher Metal Detectors.
5. XP MI-4 Waterproof Pinpointer
This pinpointer is easy to use for any user, from a beginner to a professional. One of its best features is it can be wirelessly connected to the Deus Metal Detector. This makes your performance better, and the pointer itself more powerful. Wireless connection is important because it is very convenient. This tool is very simple to use; it is activated with one button. It sends signals through audio or vibration. Three levels of sensitivity offer decent variability in search on different locations and for different items. The tool retunes quickly. This device also has six search modes. Imagine what additional features you can unlock if you connect it to the metal detector.
- Weight – It weighs less than 1 pound so it is easy to carry.
- Length – It is less than 10 inches long.
- Signal – It can send you alerts through audio or vibration.
- Battery – It is powered with lithium-ion battery. The battery is rechargeable so you save money in the long run.
- LED Light – It has a built-in LED light for treasure hunting in dark places.
- Coil – The size of the search coil is 5 inches, meaning it is quite sensitive.
- Sensitivity – It has 3 levels of sensitivity that can be easily adjusted.
- Waterproof – It is waterproof up to 20 feet.
- Ease Of Control – It has 1 button to control everything.
- Holster – It has a rotary holster and strap with stainless steel rings so you can keep the device on you at all times.
- Grip – It includes an ergonomic rubber hand grip for comfort.